Sep (2)


A meeting of Cyngor Cymuned Llan Llyr/Llanyre Community Council was held at Llanyre Church Hall on Tuesday, 23rd September, 2014.

Present:- Councillor S. Powell (Chairman);

Councillors Mrs. P. Abbott, M. Davies, Mrs. T. Field, S. Grimwood,
B. Humphreys, S. Meredith, G. Rees, L. Smith and M. Watkins.

In attendance:- Councillor W. J. Evans


There were none.


Mr. B. Humphreys declared an interest in item 56(h) and left the meeting whilst the item was discussed.


The Chairman was authorised to sign as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting held on 15th July, 2014 and of the extra ordinary meetings held on 19th August and 16th September, 2014, subject to the addition of Mr. S. Meredith to the list of those present at the meeting on 16th September.


(a) New A470/Traffic Calming Measures/By Pass (Ref. Min. 33/14(a)

Nothing further to report.

(b) Public Toilets, Llanyre (Ref. Min. 33/14(b)

Water 525, Electricity 41064

Further to discussions at a recent meeting, Mr. G. Rees circulated costs for the supply of hand driers. In view of the proposals for the toilets at Newbridge-on-Wye it was agreed to proceed with Llanyre only in the first instance. It was noted that a hand drier similar to that currently in situ would cost in the region of £226, plus fitting. It was agreed to seek quotations for supply and fitting from Luke Mouncer, Rob Allsop and Pip Samuel. In the meantime, the Clerk would also contact Phs to enquire whether they would be prepared to sell the hand drier that was currently on site.

(c) Public Toilets, Newbridge-on-Wye (Ref. Min. 33/14(c))

Nothing to report.

(d) Recycling Sites (Ref. Min. 33/14(d))

(i) Llanyre

The Clerk reported that she had received an e-mail from the Waste Contracts Officer stating that no small banks were available.

It was also reported that due to small tonnages being collected from this site, the existing paper bank will not be replaced once it is removed.

(ii) Newbridge-on-Wye

It was reported that the site was in need of a clean up. Councillor Evans kindly agreed to undertake this.

Correspondence was received from Powys County Council that due to increasing costs and poor performance a new contractor had been engaged for the collection of paper from community sites. The contractor was Parry and Evans, a Powys based company, and it was requested that collections be requested when the bins are ¾ full. Collections to be requested by contacting Powys County Council.

(e) Mid Wales House – Parking (Ref. Min. 33/14(e))

It was reported that 11 letters and notices of support had been received to date. Mr. A. Knox had agreed to a further meeting with Mr. S. Meredith. The Chairman thanked Mr. Meredith for his continued work in connection with this matter.

(f) Proposed Llanyre Church/Community Hall (Ref. Min. 33/14(f), 45/14, 51/14)

Nothing further to report. Draft letter awaited from Mr. R. Cawthorne.

(g) Kiosk at Thimble Court Lane (Ref. Min. 33/14(g))

The Clerk confirmed that Powys County Council was processing the request to BT for the kiosk’s removal.

(h) Proposed new Crèche Facility (Ref. Min. 37/14, 50/14)

Mr. B. Humphreys declared an interest in this item and left the meeting whilst it was discussed.

Members discussed further the request from the Newbridge-on-Wye Community Project Group regarding the proposal to erect a new Crèche facility on the site of the existing public toilets and taking in part of the playing field. Members were unanimous in their support for the project and it was proposed by Mr. M. Watkins and seconded by Mr. M. Davies that the Community Council provide the Project Group with their declaration of intent, subject to the successful land transfer from Powys County Council. The Community Council would assume legal entity of ownership for the Crèche on completion.

All in favour.



With regard to the transfer of land the Clerk stated that if the Community Council agreed to accelerate the process of transfer, Members should be aware that the Council had not precepted for this additional cost in this financial year.

It was agreed that the transfer of land be discussed further at a later date.


There were none.


The monthly balance of income and expenditure was not available due to technology problems. However, the Clerk ensured Members that there were sufficient funds to cover the invoices received.

The following invoices were received and passed for payment.

Powys County Council – NoW toilets lease £1.00
Scottish Power – Llanyre toilets £71.43
Scottish Power – NoW toilets £24.13
Mr. P. Lewis – Llanyre/NoW toilets £68.00
Mrs. L. Brown – salary/exps £284.34


(a) PCC – A Sustainable Library Service for Powys – Consultation

Details of the current consultation were received and Members were advised that the documentation could be found on the County Council website.

(b) PCC – Deposit of Powys Local Development Plan

Correspondence was received outlining consultation dates.

(c) CPRW – Forthcoming Events

Information of events was received. It was noted that a Talk and Supper Social Event would be held at Glasbury Village Hall on Friday 24th October. Mr. S. Powell and Mrs. T. Field agreed to attend.

(d) One Voice Wales – AGM – 4th October, 2014

Details of the AGM to be held at the Royal Welsh Showground on Saturday 4th October, 2014 were received and noted. No one was available to attend.

(e) Welsh Government – A470 30mph speed limit Order

A copy of the above Order was received and noted.

(f) PCC – Summer Ambassadors

Details of the County Council’s Summer Ambassadors Scheme was received and noted.


(g) PCC – Budget Conversation

An invitation to the above event to be held at The Pavilion, Llandrindod Wells, on 6th October was received. Mr. G. Rees agreed to attend the morning session and Mr. M. Watkins the afternoon session.

(h) PAVO Briefing Sheets

The Briefing Sheets for August and September, 2014 were received and noted.

(i) PAVO – Conference and AGM

Details of the Conference and AGM to be held at the Royal Welsh Showground on 10th November, 2014 were received and noted. Mr. G. Rees agreed to attend.

(j) One Voice Wales Courses

The Course book was received and noted.

(k) Llanyre Open Space – Sleeping Policeman

Correspondence was received from a member of the public who had tripped, and fallen, over the sleeping policeman at the Penrhiw access to the Open Space. Members were very concerned that this had happened and various options for rectifying the matter were discussed. Following a lengthy discussion, it was proposed by Mrs. T. Field and seconded by Mr. B. Humphreys that the sleeping policeman be removed. Following a vote the proposal was carried by 8 votes for and 1 against.

It was agreed that contractors be contacted to carry out the removal and it was noted that Mr. J. Bates was working locally and may be in a position to carry out the work. The Chairman was authorised to contact Mr. Bates for a price and to consult with the Vice-Chairman and one other member to seek authorisation for the work to commence should the costings be considered to be reasonable.


There were none.


Christmas Trees (Mr. G. Rees)

Mr. Rees enquired whether the Council were going to undertake the erection of Christmas trees in both communities this year. If agreed, it would be necessary to examine the lights, etc. in readiness. Mrs. Abbott agreed to contact the Headteacher and the Vicar to enquire when the service at the tree would be held and the matter would be discussed further at the next meeting. It was noted that Mr. G. Lewis had agreed to construct a metal structure for Llanyre but Members were unsure whether this was still the case.

Mr. G. Lewis – Attendance (Mr. S. Powell)

It was reported that Mr. G. Lewis had only attended 4 meetings of the Council since May, 2013 to May, 2104. He had, however attended a site meeting but this meeting did not have an agenda. It was agreed that the Clerk seek the advice of Mr. W. Richards and that she be authorised to proceed with his advice. The Clerk stated that she would liaise with the Chairman prior to proceeding.


The Annual Report for the year ended 31st March, 2014 was received and approved. It was reported that the audit had been concluded on 11th September, 2014.


The date of the next meeting was confirmed as Tuesday, 21st October, 2014 at 7.30 p.m.

There being no other business the Chairman closed the meeting at 9.05 p.m.

The Members discussed the following item in their capacity as Custodial Trustees.


(i) Lease

Nothing further to report.

(ii) Up-date on apportionment of Costs

Nothing further to report. The Clerk agreed to speak with Mr. G. Jones

(iii) Flicks in the Sticks

Mr. G. Rees reported that he had booked the following dates for films:-

12th October @ 7.00 p.m.
19th October @ 6.00 p.m.
29th October @ 2.30 p.m.
9th November @ 7.00 p.m.

at a cost of £80 per film. It was agreed to sell beer and wine before the screenings (excluding matinee on 29th October). It was also agreed to contact the local shop to enquire whether they would be interested in selling soft drinks, sweets, etc. Mr. Rees asked Members for their assistance on the above dates.




Valid CSS!