A meeting of Cyngor Cymuned Llan Llyr/Llanyre Community Council was held at Llanyre Church Hall on Tuesday 21st October, 2014.

Present:- Councillor S. Powell (Chairman);

Councillors Mrs. P. Abbott, M. Davies, Mrs. T. Field, S. Grimwood,
G. Lewis, S. Meredith, G. Rees, L. Smith and M. Watkins.

In attendance:- County Councillor W. J. Evans


Apologies for absence were received from Mr. B. Humphreys.


There were none.


The Chairman was authorised to sign as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting held on 23rd September, 2014.


(a) New A470/Traffic Calming Measures/By-pass (Ref. Min. 56/14(a))

Nothing further to report. It was agreed, therefore, that the Clerk contact the Minister again to enquire whether there was any progress on the matters discussed at the meeting earlier in the year.

It was also reported that the re-surfacing of the B4358 at Pencaedu had been undertaken and the possibility of re-classifying the road was being discussed.

(b) Public Toilets, Llanyre (Ref. Min. 56/14(b))

Electricity – 41088 Water – 527

Three quotes for the supply and fitting of a new hand drier in the Llanyre toilets were received, as follows:-

Pip Samuel £285 + VAT
Luke Mouncer £285 no VAT
Rob Allsop £355.72 + VAT

The Clerk reported that Mr. Allsop had contacted her to say that he was in a position to source cheaper options, in the region of £150 but the Clerk confirmed that a price for the model stated was required to enable Members to compare prices. The Chairman reported that Pip Samuel had made a similar remark to him also. The Clerk also reported that she had not been able to make contact with Phs to ascertain whether they were prepared to sell the hand drier on site.

Following discussion, it was agreed that the Clerk try again to contact Phs and if it was confirmed that they were prepared to sell the on-site hand drier for less than £50 then the Clerk be authorised to go with that option. However, if the cost was higher than that, or it was not possible to contact them then it was:-

Proposed by Mr. M. Davies and seconded by Mr. G. Rees that the quotation submitted by Luke Mouncer be accepted.

A counter-proposed by Mr. S. Grimwood that the quotation submitted by Pip Samuel be accepted was seconded by Mr. S. Meredith.

Following a voted the counter-proposal that Pip Samuel’s quotation in the sum of £285 + VAT was carried by 6 votes to 3.

(c) Public Toilets, Newbridge-on-Wye (Ref. Min. 56/14(c))

Nothing to report.

(d) Recycling Sites (Ref. Min. 56/14(d))

Llanyre – it was reported that the site was not being used as much since the introduction of roadside collections. Members were asked to encourage the public to use the site.

Newbridge-on-Wye – everything fine.

(e) Mid Wales House – Parking (Ref. Min. 56/14(e))

The Clerk reported that one more letter had been received in the post. Mr. S. Meredith reported that he had attempted to arrange a further meeting with Alastair Knox but not response had been received to date. Councillor Evans agreed to follow up.

(f) Proposed Llanyre Church/Community Hall (Ref. Min. 56/14(f))

The Clerk reported that she had forwarded the letter received from Mr. R. Cawthorne, but no reply had been received to date. She agreed to write again.

(g) Kiosk at Thimble Court Lane (Ref. Min. 56/14(g))

It was reported that the kiosk had not yet been removed. Councillor Evans agreed to follow up.

(h) Proposed New Creche Facility (Ref. Min. 56/14(h))

The Clerk confirmed that she had forwarded the declaration of intent letter to the local committee. Mr. G. Rees reported that the access to the Village Green would need to be widened and it may necessitate an exchange of land. However, it was not yet clear whether the area of land required would require an exchange.

(i) Llanyre Open Space – Sleeping Policeman (Ref. Min. 59/14(k))

The work to remove the sleeping policeman had been completed.

(j) Christmas Trees (Ref. Min. 61/14)

Following the discussion at the last meeting, further consideration was given to the supply and erection of Christmas Trees in both communities. The idea of constructing a metal tree-shaped frame for Llanyre was re-visited and, following discussion, it was proposed by Mr. S. Grimwood and seconded by Mr. M. Watkins that a maximum of £200 be earmarked for the project and the final approval be delegated to the Chairman and Vice-Chairman.

It was agreed to continue with the current arrangement in Newbridge-on-Wye and Mr. S. Grimwood kindly agreed to obtain the tree.

Mrs. Abbott confirmed that she had discussed the matter of the Carol Singing with the Vicar and the Headteacher and a meeting will be held in the near future to finalise the arrangements.

(k) Mr. G. Lewis – Attendance (Ref. Min. 61/14)

The Clerk reported that she had contacted the County Council to clarify the situation with regards to missed meetings. It was confirmed that when a Member misses 6 meetings they are no longer a Member of the Community Council. It was not a matter for the Council to remove a Member after that time. Mr. Lewis had been made aware of this situation by the Chairman.


There were none.


The monthly balance of income and expenditure was received and approved.

Balances in hand as at 20.10.14:- Ring Fenced balances – Recycling:-
Current Account £7133.54 Llanyre £1092.34
Savings Account £2194.44 Newbridge-on-Wye £1022.72
£9327.98 £2013.18

Available Funds:- £7314.80

The following invoices were received and passed for payment:-

(a) Mr. J. Bates – Llanyre Open Space £60.00
(b) Mr. C. Bevan – Llanyre toilets £60.09
(c) Mr. P. Lewis – Llanyre toilets £44.00
(d) Mr. P. Lewis – NoW toilets £44.00
(e) Cannon Hygiene – Llanyre toilets £7.34
(f) Cannon Hygiene – NoW toilets £10.44
(g) Mrs. L. Brown – salary/exps £274.12

The Clerk reported receipt of a cheque in the sum of £44.68 being a refund of a donation to Mr. G. Jackson from the Newbridge-on-Wye Recycling Funds.

Mr. G. Rees queried the electricity costs which had been agreed at the last meeting. It was agreed to make enquiries regarding on-line or direct debit payments with a view to reducing costs.


(a) Western Power Distribution

Correspondence regarding the unmetered connection for the Christmas tree in Llanyre was receive and noted. Agreed to pass to the electrician when the tree is erected.

(b) Royal British Legion

Correspondence was received regarding the supply of 2 poppy wreaths for Remembrance Sunday. Mr. M. Davies agreed to lay the wreath in Newbridge-on-Wye and Mrs. T. Field in Llanyre.

(c) Rural Open Sure Signal

Correspondence was received from Roger Williams, MP, outlining details of a scheme by Vodafone to provide dishes to improve mobile phone signal in areas where coverage was poor. It was agreed to express an interest for Newbridge-on-Wye.

(d) PAVO Briefing Sheet

A copy of the October, 2014 briefing sheet was received and noted.


One Voice Wales (Mr. M. Watkins)

The following matters were discussed:-

One Voice Wales meeting with Powys – still to take place
Leisure Services – going out to tender from April, 2015
Council Clusters
New Model Standing Orders
Bilingual Policies
Websites – structure guidance
Planning in Wales – significant changes imminent
WW1 Commemorations
One Voice Wales meetings – host community to be present
Powys Regeneration Partnership
Next meeting at Llanwrtyd Wells in January 2015

Newbridge-on-Wye School Governing Body

The new room (old nursery) now used for ALN pupils and going well
Governors invited to visit school during lessons


Allotments- Mr. S. Meredith reported that following a discussion with Mr. S. Gealy at the recent meeting, the grass had been cut and all rubbish removed adjacent to the allotments. The Members asked Councillor Evans to pass on their appreciation for the prompt response to their request.



The date of the next meeting was confirmed as Tuesday 18th November at 7.00 p.m. at Newbridge-on-Wye Community Centre.

There being no other business the Chairman closed the meeting at 9.15 p.m.

The Members discussed the following item in their capacity as Custodial Trustees.

Newbridge-on-Wye Community Centre

(i) Lease/Up-date on apportionment of costs - the Clerk reported that she had spoken with Mr. G. Jones and he had requested that the information be re-submitted. The Chairman reported that he had spoken with Councillor Evans to enquire whether responsibility for the hall could be handed over to the school as there appeared to be no progress from the County Council. It was agreed that letting figures be presented to the next meeting. It was felt that it may be necessary to re-constitute the Management Committee if the matter was going to take a long time.
(ii) Flicks in the Sticks – an invoice for £80 was received and passed for payment. Two events had been held, to date. The first one had been better attended than the second.
(iii) Remuneration for Booking Secretary – Mrs. Abbott left the room whilst this item was discussed. The Chairman felt that Mrs. Abbott should be rewarded for the work she undertakes in connection with the bookings at the hall. She and the Secretary had last been awarded an honorarium in 2012. It was also reported that the previous booking secretary was paid £150 per year for the same duties. Members wished to see evidence of the income generated. Pending this, it was proposed by Mrs. T. Field and seconded by Mr. S. Meredith that a payment of £125 be awarded and the matter discussed further at the next meeting.



Valid CSS!