A meeting of Cyngor Cymuned Llan LlYr/Llanyre Community Council was held at Newbridge-on-Wye Community Centre on Tuesday, 17th November, 2015.

 Present:- Councillor S. Powell  (Chairman);

   Councillors Mrs. P. Abbott, M. Davies, Mrs. P. Deakin, Mrs. T. Field,
   S. Grimwood, S. Meredith, G. Rees, L. Smith and M. Watkins.

 In attendance:- County Councillor W. J. Evans.


 There were none.


 Mr. S. Powell declared an interest in item 64/15 and left the meeting whilst the item was discussed.  Mrs. Abbott declared an interest in item 67/15 and left the meeting whilst the item was discussed.


 The Chairman was authorised to sign as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting held on 20th October, 2015.


(a) New A470/Traffic Calming Measures/By-pass (ref. Min. 54/15(a))

Correspondence was received from Edwina Hart, AM, confirming that the implementation of the advisory speed limits had now been completed adjacent to the school and they were preparing to consult on permanent traffic orders.  Whilst grateful for the work undertaken to date, Members wished the AM to know that a problem still existed with some vehicles speeding in to the village and not stopping at the pedestrian crossing.

(b) Public Toilets, Llanyre (Ref. Min 54/15(b))

Electricity 41985   Water 562

(c) Public Toilets, Newbridge-on-Wye (Ref. Min. 54/15(c))

Electricity 94307

(d) Recycling Sites (Ref. Min. 54/15(d))

Llanyre – bags of rubbish left
Newbridge-on-Wye – plastic almost full and bag of rubbish left

The Clerk agreed to contact PCC with a request that the bags be collected as soon as possible.

(e) Mid Wales House (Ref. Min. 54/15(e))

Nothing further to report.  Councillor Evans agreed to follow up.

(f) Proposed Llanyre Church/Community Hall (Ref. Min. 54/15(f))

Mr. Watkins reported that, unfortunately, he had not been able to meet with the Clerk.  However, Councillor Evans had met with Mr. B. Price and he had been given a letter which stated that the area of land in question was registered as Village Green and the Community Council was the legal owner as determined at a public hearing on 6th June, 1973.  Councillor Evans proceeded to discuss the way forward with Mr. Price as it was now clear that it would not be possible to continue with the proposal to build on the Recreation Field.  Seeking funding to improve the current hall was a possibility.  Mr. M. Watkins agreed to speak with One Voice Wales for further clarification.

(g) Proposed New Crèche Facility (Ref. Min. 54/15(g))

It was reported that the Committee had hoped to hear today whether the grant application had been approved. Councillor Evans thanked the Clerk for her assistance with this project.

(h) Newbridge-on-Wye and Llanyre Playing Fields (Ref. Min. 54/15(h))

It was reported that Members had met with Mr. S. Gealy at the Llanyre Playing Field site to assess the condition of the equipment.  Following close inspection, it had been decided to remove a wooden seat and a swing and it was noted that a stop required removal on the gate as it was a pinch hazard.  The Chairman and Mr. M. Davies agreed to meet to undertake this work.

The Clerk confirmed that she had contacted the Council’s Insurers and it had been confirmed that they do not stipulate how often the area is inspected.  She had requested this confirmation in writing but, to date, this had not been received.

(i) War Memorial (Ref. Min. 54/15(i))

The Clerk confirmed that she had been in contact with Dig It Gardening regarding the cutting of the hedge prior to the Remembrance Sunday Service and he had been asked to undertake works up to a maximum of £100.  This work had been completed but he had confirmed that the remainder of the hedge was in need of cutting but he recommended that it be undertaken in the Spring/Summer.

It was also noted that the metal fence had been repaired.  Councillor Evans had kindly supplied the materials and Mr. G. Lewis had done the welding.  The Chairman thanked them for this.

(j) CONFIDENTIAL (Ref. Min. 58/15)


 Mr. S. Powell  and Councillor W. J. Evans left the meeting

 Wern Farm, Llanyre – Poultry Unit – the Clerk confirmed that PCC had not forwarded the paper work for consultation so there had not been an opportunity to arrange a site meeting, study the plans and associated paperwork.  It was, therefore, agreed that a site meeting be convened for 21st November at 9.30 a.m. following which the resolution would be forwarded to the Clerk for response.

Correspondence was received from a local resident outlining concerns of water drainage; smell, flies and rodents; noise; traffic and cumulative effects, which would be taken in to consideration when the Council’s response was made.

 Mr. S. Powell and Councillor W. J. Evans returned to the meeting.


 The monthly balance of income and expenditure was received and approved.

Balances in hand as at 15.11.15:-                    Ring Fenced balances – Recycling:-  
Current Account    £5285.29                             Llanyre                    £  738.71
Savings Account   £2196.34                             Newbridge-on-Wye £  624.82
                              £8011.93                                                             £1363.53

Available Funds:- £6648.40

 The following invoices were received and passed for payment:- 
Play Radnor – donation (agreed last meeting)     £20.00
 Citizen’s Advice Bureau – donation (agreed last meeting)  £20.00
 Mr. G. Lewis – hedge cutting      £30.00
 Dig It Gardening – 50% payment of 2015/16 contract   £720.00
 Dig It Gardening – 5 grass cuts at Llanafan Road   £125.00
 Mr. P. Lewis – Llanyre/NoW toilets – cleaning    £70.40
 Mrs. L. Brown – salary/expenses      £311.33


 Electronic Planning Applications – correspondence was received from PCC stating that with effect from 1st January, 2016 the County Council would be sending out all planning consultations electronically.  The Clerk confirmed that she had responded stating that not all Members had access to a PC and the meeting venues did not have the technology available to view the applications and asked that the position be re-considered.


 All Saints Church, Newbridge-on-Wye – application for assistance towards the costs of maintaining the churchyard.  It was proposed by Mr. G. Rees and seconded by Mrs. T. Field that a donation of £62.00 be approved.

 Mrs. D. Lang, New Inn – application for assistance to add to the community Christmas lighting on the Village Green.  It was proposed by Mrs. T. Field and seconded by Mr. S. Grimwood that a donation of £62.00 be approved.

Mrs. P. Abbott left the meeting.

Mrs. P. Abbott – application for assistance towards the cost of providing the Children’s Christmas Party.  It was proposed by Mrs. T. Field and seconded by Mr. M. Davies that a donation of £62.00 be approved.  It was requested that the cheque be made payable to the Friends of the School.

Mrs. Abbott returned to the meeting.


 No applications received.


 The Clerk requested information on any additional items to be added to the estimates for 2016/2017 and the following items were agreed:-

 Repair the pump on the fountain in Newbridge-on-Wye
 Grass cutting in Llanyre and Newbridge-on-Wye  
 Play areas – inspection fees and grass cutting
 Additional hedge cutting in Llanyre


 Councillor Evans reported that during his meeting with Mr. B. Price it had been stated that Mr. Price had requested to view the Council’s accounts for the year ended 31st March, 2015.  The Clerk confirmed that she had been in correspondence with Mr. Price and had agreed to meet with him prior to a meeting in Llanyre earlier in the year.  He had not been able to attend that proposed meeting and no further requests had been made.  The Clerk agreed to contact Mr. Price again to clarify exactly what he wanted to see and make arrangements to meet with him.


 The date of the next meeting was confirmed as Tuesday, 15th December, 2015 at 7.00 p.m.

There being no further business, the Chairman closed the meeting at 8.45 p.m.

The Members discussed the following item in their capacity as Custodial Trustees:-


1. Locks on the emergency door loose – reported to PCC
2. Front door difficult to open – reported to PCC
3. Rubbish being left by school bins – a new notice stating that a charge will be made for any rubbish left after a function has been   posted in the kitchen
4. Fan in disabled toilet is blocked
5. Gareth Jones is to speak at the next Governors’ meeting
6. The Chairman was concerned that the responsibility of the bookings and the additional costs incurred by being the key holder for the Hall was proving too much for Mrs. Abbott now that she had moved and wished to offer her some assistance.  Unfortunately, Mrs. Abbott did not wish to accept the assistance and left the meeting.  A discussion ensued on how to manage the situation the Members now found themselves in and it was agreed that Mr. G. Rees take the keys in the interim and a key safe be sourced which would be fixed to the hall.  Hirers would then be given the code on booking.


Valid CSS!