Mar

CYNGOR CYMUNED LLAN LLYR/LLANYRE COMMUNITY COUNCIL

A meeting of Cyngor Cymuned Llan Llyr/Llanyre Community Council was held at Newbridge-on-Wye Community Centre on Tuesday 18th March, 2014.

Present:- Councillor M. Davies (Chairman);

Councillors Mrs. P. Abbott, Mrs. T. Field, S. Grimwood, B. Humphreys,
G. Lewis, S. Meredith, S. Powell, G. Rees, L. Smith and M. Watkins.

In attendance:- County Councillor W. J. Evans.

110/13 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

There were none.

111/13 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

There were none.

112/13 MINUTES

The Chairman was authorised to sign as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting held on 18th February, 2014.

113/13 MATTERS ARISING

(a) New A470/Traffic Calming Measures/By-pass (Ref. Min. 103/13(a))

The Clerk reported that the meeting with the Transport Minister, Edwina Hart, would be held at 3.30 p.m. on Thursday, 20th March. Mr. M. Watkins, Mrs. P. Abbott and Mr. S. Meredith, together with the Clerk were available to attend. It was agreed that the following matters would be brought to the Minister’s attention:-

Vehicles not stopping at pedestrian crossing; 20mph speed restriction passed the school; moving the school warning signs nearer to the school on the south approach and traffic lights at the crossing.

(b) Public Toilets, Llanyre (Ref. Min. 103/13(b))

Nothing to report.

(c) Public Toilets, Newbridge-on-Wye (Ref. Min. 103/13(c))

Lock on outside door yet to be repaired.

Councillor Evans enquired when the gents were going to be opened. It was reported that this had not been precepted for in the next financial year.

The Chairman reported that he had met on site with the electrician who had recommended that a vandal-proof motion sensor light be fitted in the toilets. This would prove to be more economical as the light would only be on when the facilities were in use. It was estimated that the cost of the works would be in the region of £180 - £200.
-56-

Members enquired whether an LED bulb could be installed to reduce the electricity consumption further. The Chairman agreed to discuss this matter with the electrician. Following a vote it was agreed that the works proceed.

(d) Recycling Sites (Ref. Min. 103/13(d))

(i) Llanyre – it was reported that the paper bank was not being emptied regularly. Councillor Evans had contacted the Portfolio Holder and the matter had been investigated. It was noted that the bank had now been emptied.
(ii) Newbridge-on-Wye – it was noted that the plastics bin was full.

(e) Mid Wales House – Parking (Ref. Min. 103/13(f))

Mr. S. Meredith reported that he had been unable to visit the House of Lords Archives. However, it was noted that the railway had been on a 99.9 year lease and ownership would have reverted to the original owner (possibly the Gibson Watt family). The answer probably lies with the Turnpike Trust. Members thanked Mr. Meredith for his work in connection with this matter and Councillor Evans reported that an Officer of the County Council was now continuing the work undertaken by Mr. Meredith.

Councillor Evans reported that he had spoken with Mr. Graham Eales regarding the land on the Llanafan Road and he was now investigating the matter.

(f) Proposed Llanyre Community Hall (Ref. Min. 103/13(g))

Mr. M. Watkins reported on the recent meeting of the Working Party. A response had been received from the Charity Commission which the Clerk had forwarded to representatives on the Working Party. Advice had been received from Knucklas Community Hall and, although helpful, was not quite what the Llanyre Committee wanted. Mr. M. Watkins had agreed to contact Ian Jones to enquire whether he was interested in being involved with the project. It was also agreed that a draft letter be drawn up for agreement by both sides prior to forwarding to the Charity Commission.

(h) Members Items – Llanyre (Ref. Min. 103/13(h))

Mr. L. Smith reported that the County Council had started work on clearing the gutter, The tree had also been cut down.

114/13 PLANNING APPLICATIONS

Cagebrook Cottage, Llanyre – proposed refurbishment and extension. Following discussion and vote which was carried by 10 in favour and 1 abstention it was RESOLVED – that the application be approved.

115/13 INVOICES FOR PAYMENT

The monthly balance of income and expenditure was received and approved.

Balances in hand as at 17.03.14:- Ring Fenced balances – Recycling:-
Current Account £5255.94 Llanyre £1110.74
Savings Account £2194.06 Newbridge-on-Wye £ 725.90
£7450.00 £1836.64
Available Funds:- £5613.36
-57-

The Clerk also reported the following refund from Scottish Power:-
Newbridge-on-Wye Toilets £174.48
Llanyre Toilets £118.32

116/13 CORRESPONDENCE

(a) PAVO – Info Engine – Powys

Information was received of a new online directory of service to be launched by PAVO. It was agreed to register the Community Council with this service.

(b) Newbridge-on-Wye Notice board

Correspondence, which had been copied to 2 local papers, was received from Mrs. Annette Barrett outlining her concerns that the one side of the large notice board was locked and that Community Council notices had been posted on the open side of the board. The Clerk explained that the notices had been placed on the open side of the board as it had not been possible to open the doors on the locked side following many weeks of wet weather. It was agreed that a notice outlining the reasons for locking the board be posted in the notice board and the Clerk respond to Mrs. Barrett as soon as possible

(c) The Light Car and Edwardian Section

Posters advertising a vintage car rally in the area on 29th March, 2014 were received for posting on the notice boards.

(d) Proposed Pavement in Llanyre

Correspondence was received from Mr. D. Price of Powys County Council stating that the project was progressing. However, it would now need to go back to the Radnorshire Committee for ranking.

117/13 REPORTS FROM REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES

There were none.

118/13 MEMBERS ITEMS

Newspaper Reporting (Mr. S. Powell) - A discussion on the process for reporting Council news in the press took place. Mr. Powell felt that more information should be provided to public in addition to the Minutes and Agenda which appeared on the website. However, it was felt by some Members that there was not that much that was newsworthy. The Clerk explained that the papers would not report on planning discussions as the Community Council was only a consultee. Following discussion, it was agreed that at the end of each meeting Members decide which items they wish to be forwarded to the newspaper.

Pritchard Recreation Ground (Mr. L. Smith) – It was reported that the drain had been cleared. It was also noted that trees had been cut off and put over in the sports field but the contractor had not returned to burn them. Mr. G. Lewis agreed to bring his machine to put it up in a heap. Councillor Evans agreed to arrange.

 

-58-

119/13 POWYS LOCAL DEVELOPMENT PLAN

Members received a presentation by Mr. Chris O'Brien on the LDP. It was noted that a full draft would be out for consultation by June. It was reported that, following the 2011 census the number of households required in Powys had reduced from 10,000 to 4,500. After removing 500 that would be built in rural hamlets there were 4,000 properties required which would be split across the whole of Powys. It was noted that in Newbridge-on-Wye there had been a requirement for 32 houses in total, 17 of which had already been built and there were 10 currently under construction. There was, therefore, no new allocation required. With regard to Llanyre there was a requirement for 16 properties, 4 of these were already with planning for determination and 1 was under construction. There was, therefore, an allocation of 11 required.

Mr. O'Brien reported that he would be reporting to full Council at the end of April and it was, therefore, agreed to discuss the matter in more detail at the next meeting.

120/13 ITEMS FOR THE NEWSPAPER

It was agreed that the following items be forwarded to the newspaper:-

Newbridge-on-Wye Toilets – new lights
Powys Local Development Plan

121/13 DATE OF NEXT MEETING

The date of the next meeting was confirmed as Tuesday, 15th April at 7.30 p.m.

There being no other business the Chairman closed the meeting.

The Members discussed the following item in their capacity as Custodial Trustees:-

NEWBRIDGE-ON-WYE COMMUNITY CENTRE

(a) Lease

Councillor Evans reported that he had spoken with Mr. G. Jones who had given him an assurance that the lease would be drawn up before Easter.

(b) Apportionment of Costs

Nothing further to report.

(c) Complaint from Mrs. Laurie

Further correspondence was received from Mrs. Laurie. Councillor Evans reported that he had been copied in to the correspondence and had visited Mrs. Laurie to investigate ways of remedying the situation. These matters were under discussion and a further report would be made at the next meeting.

-59-

(d) Use of Fire Exit

A response was received from the Headteacher outlining the school’s reasons for using the Fire Exit as the main entrance to Breakfast Club. It was noted that the changes had been made for Health and Safety reasons. With an increasing number of very young pupils at the school, including a number with special needs, they had put in pace procedures which ensured that they could not leave the school site. The changes also restricted the number of adults who entered the site and enabled the school to maintain a register in the event of an emergency. The Headteacher requested that the Members support their decision and allow the continued use of the Fire Exit.

It was felt by Members that the use of the Fire Exit did not improve Health and Safety as parents, carers and the general public were able to wander in an out without reprimand. Members felt that they were unable to support the school’s request and it was agreed that Mr. B. Humphreys would discuss the matter with Mrs. Nixon.

(e) PAVO Newsletter

A copy of the Newsletter was received for information.

(f) Flicks in the Sticks

It was reported that the above scheme had re-opened and it was agreed to apply.

(g) Light on Stairs

It was reported that the lack of a light on the stairway to the meeting room was a Health and Safety hazard. Mrs. Abbott reported that the Council’s Electrician had visited to investigate the possibility of installing a light and an estimate was awaited.

(h) Flood

It was reported that a radiator pipe had developed a leak in the lead up to the half-term break. This had caused an increased workload for Mrs. Abbott as it had been necessary to visit regularly to empty containers as the Council’s plumbers had not been able to attend to repair it immediately. As a result Mrs. Abbott had clocked up an addition 11 hours over the weekend and it was agreed that she be remunerated accordingly. A payment of £66 was, therefore, agreed.

 

 

MARK DAVIES (Chairman)






Valid CSS!