July

12-

CYNGOR CYMUNED LLAN LLYR/LLANYRE COMMUNITY COUNCIL

A meeting of Cyngor Cymuned Llan Llyr/Llanyre Community Council was held at Llanyre Church Hall on Tuesday, 15th July, 2014.

Present:- Councillor S. Powell (Chairman);

Councillors M. Davies, Mrs. T. Field, S. Grimwood, B. Humphreys,
S. Meredith, G. Rees, L. Smith and M. Watkins.

30/14 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Apologies for absence were received from Mrs. P. Abbott.

31/14 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

There were none.

32/14 MINUTES

The Chairman was authorised to sign as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting held on 17th June, 2014.

33/14 MATTERS ARISING

(a) New A470/Traffic Calming Measures/By-pass (Ref. Min. 24/14(a))

Correspondence was received from Edwina Hart, Minister for Economy, Science and Transport, confirming that a review of safety of routes to all schools on the trunk road network would be undertaken and during that review the points raised at the joint meeting would be taken in to account.

(b) Public Toilet, Llanyre (Ref. Min. 24/14(b))

Electricity – 41037 Water – 519

Councillor Evans reported that he had spoken with Alasdair Knox and the bus timetable holder would be replaced as soon as possible.

It was also reported that there were boards missed of the bus shelter.

It was suggested that directional unisex signs would be beneficial for the toilets and following a discussion it was agreed that Mr. M. Davies be authorised to contact Mr. T. Gittoes to purchase a suitable sign, subject to a maximum cost of £50.

(c) Public Toilets, Newbridge-on-Wye (Ref. Min. 24/14(c))

Electricity – 93107 Water – 3484 (Black)

(d) Recycling Sites (Ref. Min. 24/14(d))

(i) Llanyre – it was reported that a number of boxes had been left that wouldn’t fit in the bin. Mr. L. Smith had kindly taken them in to the recycling centre in Llandrindod. Mr. M. Watkins enquired whether it would be beneficial to have a bin that wasn’t available in Llandrindod. It was agreed to enquire whether a smaller cardboard bin was available.

(ii) Newbridge-on-Wye – nothing to report.
?
-13-

(e) Mid Wales House – Parking (Ref. Min. 24/14(e))

Mr. S. Meredith had obtained a number of declaration letters and it was hoped that further letters would be available by the next meeting. The Land Registry form had been completed and the letters would form of the Council’s submission.

(f) Proposed Llanyre Community Hall (Ref. Min. 24/14((f))

The Clerk reported receipt of correspondence from the Charity Commission which stated that “I have examined the charity’s governing document (a Scheme of the commission dated 25 November, 2002) and I noted that whilst it includes the power to lease a small part of the charity’s land, the majority must be retained for the charity’s use. The provision of a church/community hall would not be consistent with the charity’s purposes and without a power of sale, the trustees could not dispose of the land in the way described. If the proposed area of land is very small and its loss would not impact significantly on the charity’s purposes the trustees may be able to rely on the statutory power of sale in the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996. They would need to comply with the requirements of s.117 of the Charities Act 2011 which means that you could not simply release the land to the church for nothing.” It was suggested that if the trustees wished to proceed with the proposals they would need to take appropriate professional advice as wells as considering the guidance on the Charity Commission’s web site.

Further discussion ensued and it was proposed by Mr. M. Watkins and seconded by Mrs. T. Field that a second letter be forwarded to the Charity Commission stating that it was the trustees intention to lease the land to the church on a 45/99 year lease, or whatever was decided. All in favour.

(g) Kiosk at Thimble Court Lane (Ref. Min. 19/14(d))

It was reported that the work on the kiosk had yet to be undertaken. The Clerk would write again.

34/14 PLANNING APPLICATIONS

It was reported that the CPRW may be able to provide members with information about wind farm/turbine applications. It was suggested that the CPRW be requested to provide some formalised wording where an application affected the countryside.

35/14 INVOICES FOR PAYMENT

The monthly balances of income and expenditure was received and approved.

Balances in hand as at 14.07.14:- Ring Fenced balances – Recycling:- Available Funds:- £5688.37
Current Account £5507.11 Llanyre £1092.34
Savings Account £2194.44 Newbridge-on-Wye £ 992.84
£6616.42 £2013.18

The following invoices were received and passed for payment:-
(a) Dig It Gardening – 50% of annual maintenance costs £640.00
(b) Mr. P. Lewis – NoW toilets £42.00
(c) Mr. P. Lewis – Llanyre toilets £42.00
(d) Cannon Hygiene – NoW toilets £10.44
(e) Cannon Hygiene – Llanyre toilets £7.24
(f) phs – Handling charge £24.00
(g) phs – Handling charge £24.00
(h) Mrs. L. Brown – salary/expenses £309.35
(i) Mr. C. Bevan – NoW toilets £50.90

 


-14-

36/14 CORRESPONDENCE

(a) One Voice Wales

A receipt for the renewal of membership was received.

(b) Phs Group – Online Account and Direct Debit
Correspondence was received stating that a charge of £20 would be made in future as the Council did not settle its accounts via direct debit, it was agreed that the Clerk write to phs and enquire where in the contract did it state there would be a charge for not accepting direct debit payments. In the meantime, it was agreed that a direct debit for future payments be set up.

(c) Member Declaration of Interests, etc.

Correspondence was received from two local residents outlining their concerns that Mr. S. Powell had not declared an interest and left the meeting whilst a planning application for a member of his family was being discussed.

In addition to the above mentioned concern, one of the letters also drew the Members attention to concerns over the extra ordinary meeting on 15th May, the correct notice of meetings and access to the Council’s accounts. The Clerk had responded to this letter and explained matters from the Council’s point of view.

Mr. Powell publicly apologised for not leaving the meeting during discussion of the planning application and explained that he had been ill-advised regarding his position from elsewhere. Mr. Powell then left the meeting to enable Members to discuss the matter fully.

In Mr. Powell’s absence, Mr. M. Davies took the chair in the absence of the Vice-Chairman. The matter was discussed in full and it was proposed by Mr. M. Watkins and seconded by Mr. S. Grimwood that, in view of Mr. Powell’s public apology, the matter be deemed to have been satisfactorily concluded. Following a vote the proposal was carried by 6 votes for and 1 vote against.

(d) Llywelyn’s Monument, Cilmery

Correspondence was received from Councillor D. Price seeking support for Cilmeri Community Council’s approach to the Welsh Government to enhance, improve and promote Llywelyn’s monument. A petition had been formulated and would be presented to the National Assembly for Wales Petitions Committee at the Royal Welsh Show.

(e) St. Ll?r’s Church, Llanyre

A letter of thanks for the donation from the Recycling Fund was received and noted.

(f) Scottish Power

Correspondence was received outlining details of the revised electricity prices wef 1st September, 2014.

(g) Grounds Maintenance Service 2014

Correspondence was received from the Cabinet Portfolio Holder for Highways and Environmental outlining details of the revised County Grounds Maintenance Service for 2014. It was noted that the County Council would be reducing costs by standardising cutting.

(h) One Voice Wales

A copy of the Spring Newsletter was received and distributed to Members for their information.
-15-

It was also reported that Llanyre Community Council would be hosting the One Voice Wales meeting in Newbridge-on-Wye on 18th July, 2014. Members were requested to supply refreshments and it was agreed that these be either delivered to the meeting or to Mrs. Abbott during the afternoon of the meeting.

(i) Powys Local Service Board – One Powys Plan 2014-2017
A copy of the One Powys Plan for 2014-2017 was received and forwarded to Members for their information.

(j) Ombudsman – Annual Report 2013/2014

A copy of the report was received and noted.

37/14 REPORTS FROM REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES

Proposed New Creche/Nursery (Mr. G. Rees/Mr. B Humphreys)

It was reported that a meeting had been held to discuss the need to create a new crèche in Newbridge-on-Wye following the closure of the nursery at the school. It was noted that a proposal had been put forward to construct a new building on the site of the existing toilets and create an external disabled public toilet for public use. It was further noted that an area of the playing field would also be required. An improvement to the access on the Village Green would also be required.

The Clerk reported that members of the Project Working Group had requested permission to attend the meeting on 16th September to discuss the matter in more detail.

38/14 MEMBERS ITEMS

Access to Cae Nant (Mrs. P. Abbott)

In Mrs. Abbott’s absence the Clerk reported that Mrs. Abbott had received reports from local residents that vehicles leaving Cae Nant were not stopping before joining Cyffredin Lane as there were no line markings. It was agreed that the Clerk contact the developer.

39/14 ACCOUNTS FOR THE YEAR ENDED 31ST MARCH, 2014

The Annual Report was received and approved for forwarding to the External Auditor. It was noted that the Internal Auditor had outlined his concerns that the Community Council were not fulfilling their duties as Trustees of the Llanyre Recreation Field and this was noted by the Members.

40/14 DATE OF NEXT MEETING

The date of the next meeting was confirmed as 19th August, 2014.

There being no other business, the Chairman closed the meeting at 9.30 p.m.

The Members discussed the following item in their capacity as Custodial Trustees.

Newbridge-on-Wye Community Centre

(i) Lease – nothing further to report
(ii) Up-date on apportionment of costs – nothing further to report
(iii) Flicks in the Sticks – Mr. G. Rees reported that he had been contacted regarding the possibility of organising film nights in the Community Centre. It was unanimously agreed that it would be a good idea and a wonderful community project. Mr. Rees kindly agreed to co-ordinate the project and it was, therefore, agreed to proceed.
STEPHEN POWELL (Chairman)






Valid CSS!