A meeting of Cyngor Cymuned Llan Llyr/Llanyre Community Council was held at Newbridge-on-Wye Community Centre on Monday 19th December, 2016.

Present:- Councillor S. Powell (Chairman);

Councillors M. Davies, Mrs. T. Field, S. Grimwood, G. Lewis,
H. Lewis, G. Rees, L. Smith and M. Watkins.

In attendance:- County Councillor W. J. Evans.


Apologies for absence were received from Mrs. P. Deakin.


There were none.


The Minutes of the meeting held on 15th November, 2016, were not approved. An amendment to item 73/16 to include reference to the HMRC invoice was required to reflect the discussions held and the Minutes brought back to the next meeting for approval.

A lengthy discussion ensued on the matter of the HMRC fine and the Clerk and Chairman reported that since the last meeting a number of discussions had taken place with Officers of HMRC in an attempt to resolve the matter.

During a conversation on 2nd December, the Clerk had been informed that there had been no need to open a PAYE account as both employees were below the threshold required to operate an account. The late penalty fee was for not filing on time and the Clerk had explained that this was due to the system being down and she had been informed that it was unlikely that this would be refunded. It was confirmed by HMRC that they were in the process of closing the account and all RTi charges had been cleared. There was a penalty outstanding on the account but it may not have to be paid and the Clerk was advised to ring again on 7/8th December to check whether the account had been closed. If the fine was still outstanding advice on how to appeal would be given at this time.

The Clerk reported that she had rung again on 9th December and was advised that a potential cessation date of 8th December had been added to the account and she was advised to access the on-line account and close it down On explaining that this was not possible, the Clerk was advised to write to request that the account be closed. This letter was sent the same date, next day, signed for.

A telephone call was received from HMRC on 16th December, confirming that the account would be closed and all debts cleared.


(a) Public Toilets, Llanyre (Ref. Min. 71/16(a))

Electricity – 42888 Water – 597. Still no contact from Western Power.

(b) Public Toilets, Newbridge-on-Wye (Ref. Min. 71/16(b))

Electricity – 96627. Nothing further to report.

(c) Recycling Sites (Ref. Min. 71/16(c))
(i) Llanyre – bins have now been removed
(ii) Newbridge-on-Wye – correspondence was received from PCC stating that the cans and plastic bins would be removed in the near future.

(d) Llanyre Recreation Field (Ref. Min. 71/16(d))

The Chairman welcomed a member of the public to the meeting who wished to discuss plans for the use of the Recreation Field for a community event in November, 2017. She wished to raise funds for the running costs of a defibrillator in the village and was seeking permission to hold a bonfire party on the Field. The Community Council’s assistance with this venture was requested. Advice on the necessary health and safety and insurance, etc. was sought. Mr. S. Grimwood agreed to seek the advice of the Football Club, who hold a similar event each year, and report back to the next meeting. The Clerk would then forward this information to the person concerned.

(e) Newbridge-on-Wye and Llanyre Playing Fields (Ref. Min. 71/16(e))

The Chairman reported on a site meeting held at Llanyre Playing Field with Mr. S. Gealy earlier in the day. It was reported that the swing frame was to be removed to prevent anyone from climbing on it. Rights of Way are to install a kissing gate and plant trees across the other gateway. The Council was advised to apply for the Bags for Life Grant which is administered by Tesco and the Chairman agreed to speak to Mrs. J. Griffiths regarding this.

(f) Noticeboard, Llanfihangel Helygen Church (Ref. Min. 71/16(f))

A quotation for the construction and erection of a noticeboard at Llanfihangel Helygen was received from Character Building, as follows:- construction - £145.00 and erection - £ 55.00

The quotation for the construction was accepted and Mr. S. Powell and Mr. G. Lewis agreed to undertake the erection. Mrs. T. Field kindly agreed to donate £50.00 towards the cost and it was agreed that a request for the balance be made to the Turbaries Fund. All in favour. Mrs. Field was thanked for her donation and Mr. Powell and Mr. Lewis were thanked for agreeing to erect the board.


There were none.


The monthly balance of income and expenditure was received and approved, together with the invoices for payment.

Balances in hand as at 18.12.16:-       Ring Fenced balances – Recycling:-
Current Account £ 8103.00                                Llanyre                  £519.35
Savings Account £ 2198.50                               Newbridge-on-Wye £355.85
                          £10301.50                                                          £875.20

Available Funds:- £9426.30


(a) Police and Crime Commissioner – 2017/18 Police Precept Consultation

It was noted that the Police and Crime Commissioner had recently launched a public consultation on police funding and the survey could be found at

(b) Welsh Government – Parking at Newbridge-on-Wye

Copy correspondence between Ken Skates AM and Kirsty Williams AM regarding parking at Newbridge-on-Wye was received. It was noted that a report into the options for parking had recently been received and further information would be available once the report had been reviewed.

(c) PCC – Review of Rights of Way Improvement Plan

Powys County Council is currently undertaking the first decennial review of its Rights of Way Improvement Plan and details can be found at:

(d) Buckingham Palace Garden Party

Correspondence was received from One Voice Wales inviting the Chairman to put his name forward for the draw to attend the Buckingham Palace Garden Party. The correspondence had been previously forwarded to the Chairman for his attention.

(e) National Assembly for Wales

Correspondence was received outlining details of a consultation on changing the name of the National Assembly. The documentation can be found at

(f) CPRW – emergency appeal to protect the landscapes of Mid Wales

Information was received requesting a donation towards the appeal. It was agreed not to donate.

(g) National Resources Wales

Posters, outlining the responsibilities of National Resources Wales were received and distributed for posting on the noticeboards.

86/16 SPENDING ESTIMATES 2017/2018

Items for inclusion in the spending estimates for 2017/2018 were discussed. The Clerk reported that correspondence had been received from Powys County Council outlining the costs of contested and uncontested elections as follows:-

Contested, per ward with 1000 electors £1600
Uncontested, per ward with 1000 electors £350
Polling cards printing 15 pence per elector + VAT

It was, therefore, agreed that the Clerk prepare estimates based on 2 contested, 2 uncontested, 1 contested and 1 uncontested to enable Members to make a decision on the precept.

It was also agreed to continue with the £1500 per toilet costs in the estimates.


The following requests for financial assistance from the Llanyre Recycling Fund were received:-

St. Llyr’s Church, Llanyre – towards the maintenance of the Churchyard – it was agreed that a donation of £51.00 be approved.

Llanyre Youth Club – towards the cost of the annual carol singing event – it was agreed that donation of £51.00 be approved.


Speed of vehicles in Newbridge-on-Wye and Llanyre (Mr. G. Rees) – it was reported that speed counters had been put down but no feedback had been received from the County Council. It was agreed that a further request for information be requested. It was advised that the Clerk contact Tony Caine in Highways.

Parking adjacent to Knapplands entrance (Mrs. P. Deakin) – Mrs. Deakin had contacted the Clerk to confirm that the matter had now improved.


The date of the next meeting was confirmed as Tuesday, 17th January, 2017.

The Members discussed the following item in their capacity as Custodial Trustees:-


Members discussed the arrangements for the Public Meeting to be held on 18th January, 2017. Mr. Watkins had kindly prepared some background information on the matter. However, it was felt that it would not be necessary to go into the background as the purpose of the meeting was to seek support from the public for members to serve on a Management Committee.

There being no other business, the Chairman closed the meeting.



Valid CSS!