A meeting of Cyngor Cymuned Llan Llyr/Llanyre Community Council was held at Newbridge-on-Wye Community Centre on Tuesday 17th December, 2013.

 Present:- Councillor M. Davies  (Chairman);

   Councillors Mrs. P. Abbott, Mrs. T. Field, S. Grimwood,
   S. Meredith, S. Powell, G. Rees, L. Smith and M. Watkins.

 In attendance:- County Councillor W. J. Evans.


 Apologies for absence were received from Mr. B. Humphreys and Mr. G. Lewis.


 Mr. G. Rees declared an interest in item 85/13(b).


 The Chairman was authorised to sign as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting held on 19th November, 2013.


(a) New A470/Traffic Calming Measures/By Pass (Ref. Min. 71/13(a))

 Mr. M. Watkins reported on a site meeting with Dean Williams of the Trunk Road Agency on 6th December, 2013.  Members had requested a meeting following reports from local residents that motorists failed to stop for pedestrians waiting at the kerbside to cross at the pedestrian crossing.  Mr. Williams stated that the crossing, markings, signing, etc. all complied with Departmental standards and that his role was only to report back to the Secretary of State what the Council had to say.  Following a general observation and discussion the following suggestions arose:-

 Council – (1) a 20mph speed limit should be imposed along the school frontage to the A470 in a similar manner to County Road sites and (2) the flashing warning signs on the south side approach to the crossing a too far away – on the brow of the hill approximately 300+ metres away – the sign should be moved closer.

 Mr. Williams responded that the Trunk Road policy does not include 20mph sites in like manner to County Road situations.  The signs denote the presence of pedestrian traffic and are not exclusive to the pedestrian crossing.

 It was noted that the signs on the north side are much closer and did not cover the likely pedestrian traffic to the north of the class 2 road which was in contradiction to the explanation outlined above.

 It was felt that with respect to the 20mph proposal it would stand a much better chance of success if an approach was made via the MP and AM on an inclusive basis by including other similar sites on the A483, for example Llanelwedd.

 With regard to the south side flashing sign, moving it closer to the crossing and being more effective could be supported by citing the much smaller distance of the north side sign to the crossing and it was understood that most of the alleged problems resulted from northbound traffic.

 Site observations over the end of the school day (1) Pedestrian traffic to and from the school was small; (2) Less than five pedestrians/children crossings of the road/crossing were made; (3) The vas majority of traffic was motorised either by use of the access road or waiting on the near side (to the school) of the carriageway; (4) No problems were observed with pedestrian difficulty to get on the crossing or with vehicles not slowing and stopping; (5) In fact many motorists gave way and slowed or stopped when pedestrians passed across the threshold of the crossing, not stopping and carrying on down the footway; (6) It was suggested that regular road safety tuition for pupils should be given and that Powys’ Road Safety Officer should be involved.

(b) Public Toilets, Llanyre (Ref. Min. 71/13(b))

 Correspondence was received from Mr. Gealy, Outdoor Recreation Officer, regarding the overhanging tree.  He stated that he had visited the site and could not see where the tree was overhanging the street light.  With regard to the hedge, he was of the opinion that it was not in the ownership of the County Council.  It was further reported that the ditch was full and in need of clearing.  Councillor Evans agreed to speak with Officers at the Council regarding the above matters and report back at the next meeting.

(c) Public Toilets, Newbridge-on-Wye (Ref. Min. 71/13(c))

 A new key for the store cupboard had been cut and was passed to Mr. Meredith.  Nothing further to report.

(d) Recycling Sites (Ref. Min. 71/13(e))

 Nothing to report.

(e) Caerfagu Road (Ref. Min. 71/13(f))

 A meeting had been held with Mr. Ian Harris, Area Manager, and he had contacted the Clerk to confirm that a team would be sent out as soon as possible to rectify the issues raised.

(f) Mid Wales House – Parking (Ref. Min. 71/13(g))

 It was reported that Mr. Meredith had met again with Mr. A. Knox regarding the matter and he was now in the process of researching the newspapers from 1977 to 1980 for public and legal notices.  The Chairman thanked Mr. Meredith for all the research he had undertaken in this matter.

 It was agreed that a caution on first registration be lodged with the Land Registry on the basis that the land is for public use and a meeting be arranged with the County Solicitor to plot a way forward.

 With regard to the area of land in the ownership of the Community Council which is not registered in their ownership, Mr. Watkins agreed to speak with Mr. David Parsons and the matter would be discussed further at the next meeting.


(g) Website (Ref. Min. 71/13(h))

 It was reported that the website was now live and minutes and agenda had been uploaded.  No training had yet been received by the Clerk.

(h) Scottish Power – Electricity Prices (Ref. Min. 71/13 (i))

 The Clerk confirmed that she had spoken with Scottish Power again and it was confirmed that the new prices of 24.12 p/day standing charge and 13.36 p/kwh for all units would apply from 1st December, 2013 to 30th November, 2014 and that no security deposit was required.

(i) Christmas Trees (Ref. Min. 71/13(j)

 It was reported that the trees had been installed and the work on the electricity supply in Llanyre had been completed.

 Mr. R. Woods had supplied the trees and had assisted with erecting the tree in Newbridge-on-Wye.  It was agreed that a letter of thanks be sent to him.  Mr. Woods had also confirmed that he could supply a rooted tree if this was the Members’ wish. 

(j) Footpath, Llanyre (Ref. Min. 71/13(k))

 It was confirmed that the County Council were still working on the project and needed to negotiate the release of land with the landowner.

(k) Planning Applications  - Penylan, Nantmel (Ref. Min. 72/13(ii))

 The Clerk reported receipt of correspondence from Gemma Bufton, Planning Officer, who had confirmed that, although the Council’s comments did not appear on the planning portal they had been included in the Committee report to Members.  She apologised for the oversight.


 Blaenheol, Newbridge-on-Wye – removal of condition 2 of planning permission R502 (agricultural occupancy).  A lengthy discussion ensued on the matter during which it was felt that the property should have been sold with the farm. Following a vote which was carried by 8 votes with 1 abstention it was RESOLVED – that the restriction should not be lifted.


 The monthly balance of income and expenditure was received and approved.

 Balances in hand as at 16.12.13:-  Ring Fenced balances – Recycling:- 
 Current Account £ 9111.52  Llanyre   £1110.74
 Savings Account £ 2193.68  Newbridge-on-Wye             £  597.40  
     £11305.20      £1708.14

 Available Funds:- £9597.06

 The following invoices were received and passed for payment:-

 (a) G.M. Joyce Surfacing Ltd. – Llanyre Open Space  £3660.00
 (b) Scottish Power – NoW Toilets    £137.42
 (c) Scottish Power – Llanyre Toilets    £58.92
 (d) Dwr Cymru Welsh Water – Llanyre Toilets   £87.21
 (e) Dwr Cymru Welsh Water – NoW Toilets   £207.55
 (f) Mr. P. Lewis – Llanyre Toilets    £42.00
 (g) Mr. P. Lewis – NoW Toilets     £42.00
 (h) Mr. M. Harvey – Website     £126.39
 (i) British Legion – 2 poppy wreaths    £34.00
 (j) Mrs. L. Brown – salary/exps     £320.89
 (k) Mouncer Electrical – Llanyre Christmas tree   £135.00


 (a) PCC – Powys Community Nectar Tree Scheme

 The Clerk reported that the Council had been awarded 5 trees to be planted on the land on Llanafan Road.  Unfortunately, a suitable site had not been found at Llanfihangel Helygen Church so it had not been  possible to grant trees for that site.  The Chairman agreed to collect the trees from Llandrindod and it was decided to meet on 21st December to plant them.

(b) Annual Children’s Party - Request for Financial Assistance

 Mr. G. Rees declared an interest in this item and took no part in discussion.

 A request for financial assistance towards the cost of running the annual children’s party was received from Mrs. S. Mason.  A donation of £100 was approved and it was agreed that Mrs. Mason be recommended to apply for funding from the Recycling Funds in November, 2014.

(c) Marie Curie Cancer Care – Request for Financial Assistance

 RESOLVED – that the request be declined.

(d) All Saints’ Church, Newbridge-on-Wye

 A letter of thanks for the donation from the Recycling Funds was received.

(e) Newbridge-on-Wye Playgroup

 A letter of thanks for the donation from the Recycling Funds was received.

(f) Council Tax Reduction Scheme 2014/2015 Consultation

 Correspondence was received from the County Council outlining details of a consultation on the new Council Tax Reduction Scheme from April, 2014.  It was noted that the documents could be viewed at http:/


 Mr. Watkins reported that following a public meeting in Llanyre Reverend Griffith had confirmed that he was not in a position to take a large part in or lead the future plans for the proposal hall but he had suggested that a Working Group be formed to take the project forward.  He had also suggested that £1000 be put up as a working capital from both the Church and the Community Council to enable the project to commence.  Councillor Evans reported that he had spoken with an Officer in the Regeneration Department at the County Council who had confirmed that it would be possible to advance funding to enable the scheme to commence.  Following discussion, it was agreed in principle, that a grant/loan of £1000 be approved to enable the project to commence.

 The Clerk reported that the first meeting of the Working Group would be held at The Vicarage on 8th January, 2014 at 7.30 p.m.  Members to attend: Mr. M. Watkins, Mr. G. Rees, Mr. S. Powell and Mrs. T. Field.


 The Clerk provided draft Precept Estimates for 2014/2015.  It was agreed that this item be deferred for detailed discussion at the next meeting.


 The date of the next meeting was confirmed as Tuesday, 21st January, 2014 at 7.00 p.m.

There being no other business the Chairman closed the meeting at 9.50 p.m.

The Members discussed the following item in their capacity as Custodial Trustees:-


(i) Lease – nothing further to report.

(ii) Up-date on apportionment of costs – nothing further to report.

(iii) Kitchen – the matter had now been resolved.



MARK DAVIES  (Chairman)

Valid CSS!